Welcome to the First Colonial Crew Club Website!
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
View Try It Day Photos! Click a photo below to scroll through the gallery!
Are you interested in joining the First Colonial Crew Club / Team for 2013-2014 Seasons? It's not too late.
HOW TO JOIN FIRST COLONIAL CREW CLUB:
- VHSL physical form (here) completed by physician (updated since March 2013)
- Provide completed forms and checks for fees at registration day.
- Be prepare to take a swimming test if this is your first time on FC Crew.
We are looking forward to an exciting year of rowing with Patriot Rowing and First Colonial Crew Club following a very successful past three seasons. Two years ago we had 3 boats qualify for SRAA National Championships - the Women's Junior Varsity 4, Men's Varsity 4, and Women's Varsity 4. The Men's Varsity 4 and Women's JV 4 finished 4th in their heats with Men's Varsity moving on to repechage. Women's Varsity 4 finished 12th at nationals in Petite Finals. The past two years we had our Men's Lt Weight Varsity 4 qualify and participate in SRAA National Championships. We are looking forward to another successful year.
The club was founded in 2001 by a handful of members and one rowing machine. The First Colonial Crew Club has grown to include 55 male and female members and 8 professional rowing shells. There is an about equal amount of girls as boys on the team. Learn a new skill. We have a three season rowing program of conditioning and practice on the water. Come enjoy a sport that celebrates the nautical heritage of our community and provides for lifelong fitness and health. The membership fee for the both the winter and spring is $850 plus $120 for uniforms. Discount rates are available for just the fall or spring seasons. If interested, please download the application packet here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
THE SPORT OF CREW: Rowing is a total body workout. Although rowing looks like an upper body sport, the strength of the rowing stroke comes from the legs. Rowing is one of the few athletic sports that involve all of the body's major muscle groups. It is a great aerobic workout; second only to cross country skiing, with low impact on joints. Rowing looks graceful, elegant, and sometimes effortless when well done, but don't be fooled. The sport demands endurance, strength, balance, and mental discipline.
THE SEASONS: Crew has a fall, winter, and spring season. The fall is a time for cardiovascular conditioning and long-distance races called head races. During the winter, the team does land conditioning and ergathons (indoor rowing competitions). Spring practices are held daily with focus on enhancing form, power, and speed. Rowers look forward to the race on Saturday and the pasta party the night before.
REGATTAS: Usually on Saturday, with an occasional Sunday, the regattas are exciting competitions with as many as 20 different teams attending. They are an all day affair, starting early in the morning, usually lasting until mid-afternoon. Along with serious competition comes food and socializing at the river's edge.
2013-2014 Schedule of Events & Regattas
(Pending Board Approval)
- Aug 20, 2013 - Legal Studies Academy Orientation Booth (11am-12:30)
- Aug 28, 2013 - Open House Booth for FC Crew information (Starting @ 6PM)
- Aug 29, 2013 - Freshman Kick-off Booth for FC Crew information (11am-12:30)
- Aug 31, 2013 - Move Shells to practice site (Veterans)
- Sep 5, 2013 - First Day of Practice for veteran rowers (S Villier Ct, 3-5:15)
- Sep 7, 2013 - Try-It Day for prospective new rowers/Parent Info - (S Villier Ct)
[Practice Drop off - Kings Grant Park on Kings Grant Road]
- Sep 14, 2013 - Registration and Swim Test at Great Neck Rec Center (9-noon)
- Sep 16, 2013 - Novice's First day of practice (3:00-5:15pm)
- Sep 19, 2013 - First Auxilary Member Meeting (7pm FC Cateteria)
- Sep 28, 2013 - Car Wash Fund Raiser 9-3 (Exxon Station, N. Great Neck Rd.)
- Oct 5, 2013 - Oyster Reef Regatta (Veterans Only) - Norfolk (Directions)
- Nov 9, 2013 - Frostbite Regatta (Philly, PA/Camden, NJ) (Directions)
- Nov 10, 2013 - Bill Braxton Memorial Regatta (Philly, PA/Camden, NJ) (Directions)
- Dec 7, 2013 - Virginia Beach Christmas Parade (Atlantic Ave.)
- Mar 7&8, 2014 - Yard Sale Fund Raiser (FCHS Cafeteria - Fri setup) (NEW DATE)
- Spring 2014 - Car Wash Fund Raiser (Exxon Staton, N. Great Neck Rd.)
- Apr 14-18, 2014 - VB Schools Spring Break
- May 23 -25, 2014 - SRAA Nationals (by qualification at States) (Directions) - June 2014 - Fourth Annual Pull for FC Golf Classic (8am-1pm) (Info)
(Note - Dates are subject to change, check back often)
Click Here to Email Coach about a Rower's Absence.